Monday, November 12, 2012

Swedish Meatballs, floor ball, and boxercise!

11/12/2012

Monday! It was hard to wake up this morning after being able to sleep in this weekend. When I came out of my bedroom and saw Hanna still in bed I got really excited because I thought we had a late start today, however I was mistaken, Hanna was just really tired just like me. We dragged ourselves out of bed, down the stairs and to breakfast before gathering our clothing for gym and getting in the car. The cold air woke me up a little bit as I stepped outside the house. This morning our first class was Biology! Hanna starts the week with biology and ends the week with biology, just like I do at MV! After biology we had German class where they did more translating, except this time they had to think of different types of clothing they did not know the name of in German and write them down in Swedish. Then they had to translate them into German. After German we had two hours of math, with our chocolate ball break half way through. I am kind of getting use to two hours of math right in a row. It seems like a lot, and it feels like a lot when it is at the end of the day, but when it is in the morning it is not that bad.

After math we had lunch. What was for lunch you may ask? Swedish Meatballs!!! My favorite! I think I am going to have to make them for my family over Thanksgiving break, along with chocolate balls, Kringlor, Kladdkaka, and bisquit! I am quite sure that apart from the people, the thing I am going to miss the second most is the food here! So delicious! After lunch we only had two classes left. First was gym! This was my third time in a Swedish gym class but my first time with Hanna, and I knew the routine of getting ready and changing clothing before hand. I was really worried that I would not get a chance to play floor ball, one of Sweden's very popular sports, while here. I should not have worried though, within the last three days I have played floor ball twice, once with Ida's youth group, and again today in gym class. The gym teacher was a bit surprised to see me at first because the first time I had met him I was in Ida's gym class. I love floor ball! I like lacrosse and soccer better but it is definitely up there with my favorite sports to play. Although just because I like it, does not mean that I am good at it. I need a bit more practice, though I love it and have a lot of fun playing it. After gym class we had chemistry! In chemistry they got their tests back from the huge two hour chemistry test they had taken on Wednesday, the one the fire drill had interrupted. I am pleased to report that Hanna did very well! Their grading system is a bit different. They get different types of points, a points, c points, and e points, for different questions of different difficulties. If you want to get an A then you would have to say get 8 a points, 12 c points, and 2 e points, maybe. I am pretty sure this is how it works, though I will confirm it with Hanna tomorrow. It is quite confusing!

As we walked out of school today to wait for Hanna's mom to pick us up, the sun was just setting over the skyline of trees, and it was only 3:30! I will never get use to the fact that it gets so dark here so early! We drove Matilda and Sofia home before returning home ourselves and stealing in to do a little homework and finish up a movie, another Cinderella story, that we had started watching the night before. After an amazing dinner of lamb with a red sauce, delicious!!!, Hanna and I headed over to the gym that Ekebyskolan uses to take a boxercise class! I had never been to one before but Emma loves them and convinced us to come along with her. It was a lot of fun! I am going to see if urban fitness, the gym that my family belongs to, has boxercise class. After boxercise it was quite late, the class lasted about one and a half hours from 7:15 to about 8:45, and it was 9:30 by the time we got home because we stopped at the school on the way home. At home Hanna and I collapsed into the kitchen chairs for a quick snack before taking showers and then heading off to bed.

Hopefully I will be visiting Ekebyskolan tomorrow with Austin though it is not clear if we are allowed to go yet. I hope we are! I had lot of fun there and would love to go back and see some more of their classes. Also Austin and I will meet Lars tomorrow, and along with Hanna, Ida, and the four girls coming to Toledo in February, including Emma, we will have dinner together. I am very excited to finally meet everyone! Tack så mycket, tills vidare.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting pictures and recipes for all of the amazing food that you are trying. I almost feel as if the focus of your project should be food instead of language. If you are still going to focus on language for your final project and presentation, what have you learned recently which will contribute to them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i am focusing on both language and food. I still want to do the majority of my presentation on the language, and i will update my words page, but both Austin and i were going to make food to bring in for our presentation too. We want to bring as much of sweden to maumee vally as posilbe. I think that i can incorparate the language with food in my presentation by having some of the food recipies in both swedish and english.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I look forward to seeing (and eating!) your work.

      Delete