Monday, November 5, 2012

Ekebyskolan!

11/5/2012

Today was my first day in a Swedish school. I spent the day in Ekebyskolan, Emma's school, it is the equivalent of our middle school plus 9th grade. Emma is in 9th grade so she is one of the oldest in the school. It was extremely fun following her around and visiting all of her classes. We went to history and sports in the morning before lunch and then English, math, and technology in the afternoon. Everybody at the school was very nice and all the teachers were very welcoming. It was a bit confusing because all of the classes were in Swedish except for a bit of the English class.

Their school is very different from the schools in the U.S. First of all they have a lot of free time in between their classes to hangout and talk. Second, the school has a free lunch program where you can go to the cafeteria and eat lunch, no extra charge. Also, something that was different for me but not necessarily different from the U.S. was that Ekebyskolan is made up of several buildings, we went to 4 of them including the cafeteria. I have never been to a school before that has had gym in one building, technology and history in another, the cafeteria in yet another, and Spanish and handicraft in yet another! It was all very confusing to wrap my head around in the beginning, but after a while I got the hang of it, sort of. Also they have every class with about the same people, math and sports were a bit different and had many different people but many of the same people too.

When Emma and I came home we had some tea to warm ourselves up from the cold air outside and then she helped me pack my suitcase for the move to Hanna's house. I am staying with Hanna for the the next two weeks and I am very excited, although I am sad to leave Emma and her family, though I will probably see them again within the next two weeks. When we got to Hanna's house both Emma and Hanna helped me bring my stuff up to Hanna's room where I will be sleeping (thank you so much Hanna!) and settle in. We then ate an amazing dinner of delicious chicken with a banana bread cake for dessert. Emma had to go home soon after, but Hanna and I hung out a bit longer before getting ready for bed. I am so excited to go to Hanna's school tomorrow! Tack, tills imorgon!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Natalie,
    I'm enjoying exploring Sweden and learning all these new things through your blog.
    You are so fortunate to be part of Emma's family as they cook and eat together,
    observe All Saints Eve and remember their deceased family members, bike and run through the beautiful countryside and the streets of Sala!
    Do we care as much about our history as the Swedes do?

    It feels like it's much colder out than it is in OH. I'm interested in the sticks/stones remedy for cold ears...I'm going to try this.

    Hope you are able to participate more in school as the days go by.

    From both you and Austin I sense a strong bond between our school families and
    communities! I appreciate the long history that has been fostered between MV and
    Lars Alenius!

    Looking forward to more blogs to come.
    Enjoy everything!

    Mrs. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we do care as much about our history as the Swedes do, they just have a bit more histroy than the us becasue we are such a young country. It is great here. Thank you so much for your help in making this all happen! :)

    ReplyDelete