Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Review of my SMART Goals!


1. I will try not to be shy; I will talk to people and interact with them, whether or not they speak English. I will try and do this by introducing myself to at least 3 new people a week. I will also teach my host family a little bit about the American culture and let them teach me a bit about their culture. 


I did a great job of accomplishing this goal. It was not hard to meet new people in Sweden, especially during the school day. Just a few of the people I met within the first week were Emma Moen, Fillippa Moen, Sandra, Jennifer, Maria, and Ellen and later Hampus, Ida, Matilda, Sofia, Patrik, Johan, Emma, and Evelina. Also, Hanna's Mother and Father could understand most of what I said but they had trouble speaking English. It was a bit of a struggle at first but after a while it was easy to talk to one another. I taught both of my host families a lot about American culture from different words, to different foods, and even how to hold your fork like an American. It was all very exciting! 


2. I will try to learn the language and be able to hold a small conversation with someone. I will keep a list of all the words that I learn.


I kept a list of words that I learned throughout my trip, though it is impossible to write them all down, there were so many! I also now know enough Swedish to order off a menu at a restaurant, although I may or may not be able to understand their response. 


3. I will try every new food that I am offered, no matter how different they look. I don't need to finish it, just try it.


I tried a lot of new foods in Sweden, from a special kind of potatoes that grow in a sandy soil to Kokosrutor, to Glögg, and Julmust! It was all extremely delicious, except for one food in particular that Emma and Hanna made me try; caviar. I ate just a small bit off the end of a fork and it was utterly discussing. There is no way that I will be eating caviar in the near future. 


4. I will be respectful of everyone I meet and to myself by not doing anything that goes against my morals and values.


I was respectful of everyone I met and of my host family. I helped out as much as I could with the groceries and the cooking. I was also respectful of myself and my values and I did not do anything that went against them. 


5. I will write about my experiences every day in addition to what I am required to write. 



I tried to write about my experiences every day, and I was successful in the beginning, however things got really busy and I had less and less time to do extra writing. Overall I did write quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment