Sunday, November 11, 2012

Natalie Ann Booth, don't you dare buy a bookshelf at Ikea! ... plus it won't fit in your suitcase.

11/11/2012

Today Hanna, Ida, Austin, and I went to Avesta, a smallish city about thirty minuets north of Sala. Avesta is quite a bit bigger than Sala, so I am told, though we did not get to see much of it because we spent the day at the shopping center or more specifically at Ikea! Because Ikea is a Scandinavian company we though it would be the perfect place to spend our Sunday afternoon. Hanna's mom drove us to the the shopping center in Avtesta and we headed straight to Ikea. It was extremely fun walking around, in and out of the bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and living rooms pretending we lived there and trying to decide which one was our favorite. Ikea was a dangerous place to visit and Austin and I came out, arms full of the things that we had bought. However, we did not realize you had to pay for your bags and ended up at the end of the register, bag-less so we had to carry around all of the things that we had bought until we managed to grab bags from another store.

We also ate at Ikea, and what do you get when you go to Ikea?! Swedish meatballs of course! I had had them once before when my family went to the Ikea in Detroit to get my brother a desk and they were good, but I don't know if it was the fact that I was so hungry or the fact that I was in Sweden, or the combined efforts of both, but they were amazing! I also had lingonberry soda for the first time ever and it was amazing!

After Ikea we wondered around the mall for a while and then sat down to have a feka, the Swedish term for a sweet snack (why don't we have a term for this in English!?), before setting off again to find a miniature Dalahäst without any luck, we are going to try some of the shops in Sala now.

When we returned home from Avesta, Hanna and I, both exhausted, collapsed on the couch to watch a movie before dinner. After dinner Hanna drove her mom and me to her grandmother's apartment in an assisted living facility. Yes I said Hanna drove us. At the age of 16 you can get a piece of paper stating that you have the ability to drive if a family member is in the car with you. Hanna is a good driver so everything went well. Her grandmother was very nice and although she did not speak any English we had Hanna as a translator. On the way back from Hanna's grandmother's apartment we stopped at the store to buy groceries. We also ended up buying unique Swedish candy for me to try including kex, a Swedish chocolate bar. It was very delicious! We spent the rest of the night relaxing, watching movies, and eating our Swedish candy. Tack, tills vidare.

Also, side note, today is father's day in Sweden!

No comments:

Post a Comment